Voter registration at national school walkout against gun violence, 2018.

Photo by Fibonacci Blue

Online Voter Registration Tutorials


English version in Google slides:


Spanish version in Google slides:

Online Voter Registration Resources for

High School Staff and Students



Voting 2020 - Why Does it Matter?



Registering to Vote

How do I register to vote?

You have three options:

OPTION 1, anytime up to 20 days before the
▪ Online at
▪ With a paper registration form from
your city, town or village office

OPTION 2, less than 20 days before the election:
▪ In person only at your municipal
clerk’s office or at an early voting site

OPTION 3, On Election Day:
▪ At your polling place

You may register and vote at your voting site on any Election Day. Any person registering to vote and voting on Election Day must have lived at their current address for at least 28 days before the election with no present intent to move and must provide an acceptable proof of residence document from the list below.
2013 Wisconsin Act 182 went into effect on April 4, 2014. Act 182 requires that ALL voters provide a document establishing their proof of residence as part of the voter registration application. The requirement applies to all electors who are not military or permanent absentee voters. Any document used as a proof of residence MUST include: Your current and complete name Your current and complete residential address A visible account or document number (if applicable) AND must be from one of the following proof of residence document types: A current and valid Wisconsin driver’s license. A current and valid Wisconsin identification card. Any other official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit. Any identification card issued by an employer in the normal course of business and bearing a photo of the card holder, but not including a business card. A real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year preceding the date of the election. A gas, electric or telephone service statement (utility bill) for the period commencing not earlier than 90 days before Election Day. Bank statement. Paycheck. A check or other document or official correspondence issued by a unit of government (this includes official mail from a public high school or state college or university, such as MPS or UW-Milwaukee). A university, college, or technical college identification card (must include photo) ONLY if the voter provides a fee receipt dated within the last 9 months or the institution provides a certified housing list to the municipal clerk. A residential lease which is effective for a period that includes the registration date (cannot be used when registering by mail) **Please note: you are able to redact (black out) private information such as account balances or transactions on your proof of residence document. However, the last four (4) digits of your account number (if applicable), name and address must remain visible.

What do I need to register to vote?

To register online you must have a valid Wisconsin driver license/ID with current address on file with the DMV. If using a paper registration, present one of these proofs of residence in paper or electronic format showing your current name and address:

· Current and valid Wisconsin driver license or Wisconsin state ID

· Utility bill dated within 90 days of registration

· Bank or credit union statement

· Property tax bill or receipt from the current year or the year preceding the date of the election

· Pay stub

· Residential lease if registering in person

· Government-issued document or license

· College tuition statement along with a valid student ID

· Residential care facility agreement

Residency Restriction Concerns - Voting for President Only

If you have lived in Wisconsin less than 28 days, or if you recently moved out of Wisconsin and are not yet eligible to vote in your new home state due to a residency requirement, you may apply for a Presidential-Only Absentee Ballot. New Residents:

  • Must apply and vote in-person, no earlier than 27 days before the election, and no later than 5:00 p.m. on the day before the election.
  • Should ask for the Application for Presidential Ballot (EL-141) instead of the Voter Registration Application.
  • Should note that this time frame is only specific to a New Resident voting for the Presidential-Only Absentee Ballot.
  • May also apply and vote for ‘President-Only’ on Election Day at the polling place.
  • Must complete a special absentee application/cancellation (GAB-141).
  • Are not required to complete the GAB-131, and are not registered.
  • Must, however, provide proof of residence.
  • Will be given a form that will cancel your previous voter registration.
Former Residents:
  • Must apply within 24 months of leaving Wisconsin.
  • Must be sent by-mail application using a special absentee application (GAB-140).
  • Must have this form notarized.
  • Should note that there is no specific deadline before the election to apply.
  • Are not required to provide proof of residence.

What if I move or change my name?

Verify your registration status at Your current address determines where you vote. IF YOU HAVE MOVED or if ANY PART OF YOUR ADDRESS CHANGES you must re-register. If you have CHANGED YOUR NAME since you last voted, you must re-register in order to vote after you change your name with Social Security and the Department of Motor Vehicles. For more information on changing your name on your social security card, go to and click the link to "How do I change or correct my name on my Social Security number card?" Or, call your local Social Security office. For more information on changing your name on your driver license, go to or call your local DMV or the statewide number 608-266-2353.

Who can vote in Wisconsin?

To vote in the state of Wisconsin, you must be:

  • A citizen of the United States

  • 18 years of age or older

  • A resident of Wisconsin

  • One whose felony conviction has been served in full, including probation, parole or extended supervision

  • Registered to vote